contact us

Yuadon logo

Guangzhou Yuadon Electric Co., Ltd.

We provide customers with quality electrical plugs such as electrical plug converter,international power adapter and nema power plugs with high-quality services.


If you would like to leave us a comment please go to contact us


Find suitable travel international power adapter to power your devices

  • source:Yuadon
  • Date:09/28/2018

travel adapter

When visiting foreign countries, travelers love to take their favorite electric powered items like international power adapter with them. Hair dryers, styling irons, cell phones and computers are a high priority when packing for a trip to places such as Europe, Asia, Africa and America, but even seasoned travelers get confused by the different outlets and voltages in various countries.

In most cases, you'll need a travel adapter or a power adapter. These are two different names for the same accessory. However, in some situations, you'll also need a voltage electrical plug converter or transformer.

Travel Adapters and Power Adapters

All over the world, there are different types of electrical wall outlets. A power supply adapter will let you plug your device into an electrical socket that is different from the type used in your home country. These international electrical adapters like schuko plug adapter do not convert electricity, they simply allow your device's plug to fit into the foreign outlet.

Here are some of the more common types of electrical outlets:

different types of electrical outlets

Travel Smart by Conair offers a complete array of foreign power socket adapters in single and multiple configurations, some with USB ports and safeguards such as surge protection. Currently, there are 15 different types of electrical outlets in use around the world today, each identified by a letter of the alphabet, A through O.

Voltage Converters and Transformers

The world runs on two different types of electricity or voltage ratings: 110/125V or 220/240V. The U.S. and Canada run on 110/125V. Most of the other countries around the world use 220/240V. A travel converter or travel transformer changes the voltage coming out of the wall outlet to match the voltage of your appliance.

Travel power converters and transformers increase or decrease the voltage that reaches your device making it safe to use your electronics and personal-care appliances abroad. If it's too much, your equipment may overheat and burn out. If it's too little, you won't get the performance you expect and it might cause damage to the motor, fan or heating unit.

How to Know if You Need a Travel Converter or Travel Transformer

You can look for a label on your appliance that identifies the INPUT voltage (V) that it requires. It could be on the back of the device, on the AC power box at the end of the power cord, or molded into the plug in very small print. See if the INPUT voltage is single, dual or multi. You will only need a travel converter or travel transformer if your appliance is single voltage rated.

The Difference Between Travel Power Converters and Transformer Plugs

Travel converters are used with simple appliances that use heating elements and mechanical motors. They handle high power and should only be used for short periods of time, from 1 to 2 hours. Travel transformers work with “electronic” devices that have microchips and circuits. They operate using lower wattages and can be used for longer periods of time safely.

Check the Voltage Rating on Your Device

Single voltage appliances come in two types. First are the older appliances, such as hair dryers and curling irons with a very narrow voltage tolerance, such as 100-120V. (The dash indicates this voltage range.) These single voltage items use heating elements and mechanical motors requiring a travel converter. The second type is the more modern “electronic” devices that use chips, circuits and electronic motors. These single voltage devices require a travel transformer.

Dual voltage devices such as newer model hair dryers, curling irons, electric razors and toothbrushes DO NOT require either a converter or a transformer. (Look for the slash to indicate the two voltage ratings, such as 120V/240V.)

Multi voltage devices include items such as laptop computers, cell phones, tablets, cameras and battery chargers. These DO NOT require either a converter or a transformer. The marking uses a dash to indicate the range of acceptable voltages, such as 100-240V.

Check the Power Rating

The amount of power that a device uses is measured in watts (W). Travel plug converters handle high watt appliances and travel transformers handle low watt devices.

Be sure to check the specifications on your appliance to make certain that your converter can handle the watts your device needs. Small personal electronic devices use low watts ranging up to 25W or 50W. Items with heating elements such as hair dryers and coffee makers might require a high watt setting in the range of 1000W to 2000W.

After reading this blog, do you want to learn more about related information? Please follow us and we will update more knowledge for you.